Of denominations and college life

Sunday night, I attended a local church for the third time. It is vastly, greatly, humongously different from my old church back home...but I love it still.

Being new, I don't know many people at this church, but that's okay. that will come in time.

After the announcements, we sang a few psalms. Not hymns, not contemporary music. Straight psalms, What used to seem odd to me is now beautiful, a coming together of many voices, praising our God with the very words he gave us. There's a simple solemnity about it all, a breath of fresh air, really.

I'm suddenly struck with the privilege of it all. Every day, across the world, people lose their lives because of the words we sing in church. The gospel. They lose their lives for daring to believe the truth.

This hurts me. It fills me with a sense of determination. Something must be done! What can be done? I don't know. I guess for now, it starts with wholly applying myself to worship, not taking for granted the privilege that others can only dream of.




-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I will live for my child

The Immersion Method

What shoddy internet can teach us about multitasking