In pursuit of Happy.

  As I was writing an email related to a ministry opportunity, I caught myself wondering why. Why do I do what I do? For what purpose was I given a heart to see special needs kids impacted by Jesus Christ? Why am I so far from the cut-and-dried norm of society? In a world that places so much emphasis on pursuing one's own happiness, why do I feel like my life's mission is to love on those that the world looks down upon? Am I giving up anything in order to do this? By walking a way contrary to the rest of the world, am I forgoing happiness?

"The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes."
Psalm 19:8

I may be forgoing happiness as the world defines it, but this verse seems to define happiness differently. The precepts, or 'guiding principles' given by God  are where my heart draws joy from. At some point in their lives, everyone comes to a crossroads and has to make a choice; life the world's way, or life God's way? A life of selfish leisure, or a life lived in joyful abandon, dying to self and reaching out to others, at times being uncomfortable or even persecuted, followed by an eternity of worshiping at the very throne of God?

To stand on the edge, fearfully looking down, or taking a leap of faith, no holds barred, with both feet? To follow in the previously plowed footsteps of those I admire, or to pursue God's plan for me, the scary, unknown, faith-stretching path he has for me to walk?

 It all boils down to which definition of happy you want to believe in. Is the white-picket fence dream of America really the be-all end-all of happiness? Or can happiness be found in Duplo houses, and plastic flower chains, crooked little smiles and sparkling eyes?

 yourdictionary.com defines 'happy' as 'someone or something that is feeling great pleasure or joy.'

I was given a heart for special needs children so they could learn about the joy found in Christ. And in the process, I'm discovering joy of my own.

 I call that a win-win.


11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
 Jeremiah 29:11-13


 Job 8:21
"He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I will live for my child

The Immersion Method

What shoddy internet can teach us about multitasking