Fanning the flame

Every once in a while, when I happen across a Bible verse that fits my situation perfectly, the hair on the back of my head stands up, and I wonder if it was written expressly for me.

 2 Timothy 1:6-7
 "For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of a sound mind."

 I have been told I have a 'servant's heart', and a spiritual gifts inventory once told me my spiritual gift was compassion. Now, I could have been putting those to work for Christ in a much greater fashion, but when opportunities are presented to me, I tend to drag my feet. My mom often reminds me that fear doesn't come from God. Any fear you have about putting into use the gifts that God gave you comes from the enemy. It seems that Paul was telling Timothy this very thing. If Paul wrote his letter to Timothy in 2012, he might say;
 "Timothy, this is why I am telling you to not be afraid to use the gift God has given to you. Go ahead and fan it into a flame! God does not give us a spirit of fear. God gives us a spirit of power, love, and a sound mind."
 Think about it. God wouldn't give us feelings that would get in the way of our accomplishing His will. It's one thing if you truly do not feel called to do something, but it is necessary to discern fear from uncertainty.

 Paul is reminding Timothy that he has been placed where he is for a reason, and that reason is not to sit in the background and neglect the gift he has been given! I have mentioned in other posts on Timothy that he was much younger than some of his church members, and was perhaps under some fire from them because of that fact. This admonition not to hide his gift was perhaps a response to Timothy's fear of being rejected or ignored because of his age.

 Bottom line: Fear is not from God. If He wants you to do something, He will give you everything you need to accomplish that. End of story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I will live for my child

The Immersion Method

What shoddy internet can teach us about multitasking