Contentedness.

  A stunning revelation struck me this morning as I furrowed my brow over biology and art. I am content. Even though my reason for waking up early was because my active brain wouldn't let me sleep, I am content. I've put in a full day of school, I've done all my chores, and now I'm writing this blog-post, and its only 1pm?! I've been awake since 4:30am! If only I could be this productive every day!

 I am content because I am blessed. And I am blessed because I am a child of God. And I am a child of God because I have come to the point of surrender and given my life over to Him.

 The apostle Paul also was content-and his circumstances were a lot worse than mine! However, he recognized that God worked in all circumstances, and he gave thanks accordingly.

 "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:11-13)


 Funny thing about thankfulness-it makes you realize how much you really do have. Like Paul, I have experienced many different degrees of plenty. In my case, since I've always been well provided for, I will substitute Paul's food for my health situation.

 If I had written these verses in the time of the apostle Paul, perhaps it might look something like this.
 "I am not saying this because I need anything, because I have learned to be content no matter the circumstances. I know what it is to be in pain, and I know what it is to be pain free. I have learned the secret of being content no matter how I feel, whether painless or painful, whether I'm well rested or badly fatigued. God gives me strength to do all of this."

 Hopefully my paraphrasing will help you be able to see this verse through the eyes of your own situation. Perhaps, like me, your earthly body frustrates you at times, or maybe like Paul, your need is a material one. But whatever your need, whatever your situation, you can be content with anything if you count your blessings. You cannot be content without first being thankful. Thankfulness is being grateful for what you have. contentedness is recognizing that you need nothing else.  

Bottom line-as soon as you accept Christ into your heart as your Lord and Savior, you are given a lot of things, including the power to be content whatever the circumstances. We can be content because, as children of God, we have the promise that this earthly world is not as good as it gets! We have the promise of a new body, and new life, and clothes of righteousness in Heaven.

 "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I will live for my child

The Immersion Method

What shoddy internet can teach us about multitasking