Self-Care or Self Indulgence?



This post has been on my mind for quite a while, but every-time I try to write it, something stops me. Because I desperately want to be understood, and I know that what I have to say may be somewhat controversial.

Well, here goes anyway.

I hate the term "Self-Care". I just do. I don't even know why, because I'm not against the concept, in fact I'm in great favor of taking care of one's self, which seems to be the hallmark of so-called "Self-Care", but I think the reason i dislike the phrase is that it seems to elevate relaxation to something that must be planned, just like the rest of our lives. If you google self-care, you'll find multiple internet gurus that tell you that self-care must be purposeful. 

Personally, maybe because I'm chronically ill, most of my 'self-care' is spontaneous. I decide what I need in that moment and give myself permission to tweak my day to give myself what I need. Maybe I'm tuckered out at 7pm but my laundry needs folded. Too bad, I need to go to bed. #self-care

I also give myself permission to make every day tasks easier for my energy levels. Walking through walmart takes a LOT out of me, so usually I opt for grocery pickup, sometimes I even get my groceries delivered. #self-care?

I wear things that don't need ironed, shoes that don't need tied, and I don't usually wear makeup. #low maintenance? #self-care?

It seems that "Self-Care" advocates for a separation,taking time OUT of your life, AWAY from people, and maybe that's why I dislike the term. Instead of taking time out of my life, I fill it with things I enjoy, God-given gifts that encourage my soul. I adopted a dog #self-care? Margaret is the only reason I leave my house on some weekends.

I am almost always on the phone with one of my two best friends or a family member.
I've recently discovered a love of podcasts and found that some of the time I listen to music can easily be substituted for encouragement and ideas relating to my field.

Taking care of myself and watching my energy levels, and keeping myself healthy is not self-care, it is not indulgent or something I am ignoring my responsibilities to do. It's a balance, it's being a good steward. It's following Jesus' example. He went off by himself to pray, but he also rubbed elbows with some of the most unloveable, unvalued in his culture.And with apparent joy! If Jesus had an instagram, somehow I just can't see him making a post by the Sea of Gaililee, with the caption "Thankful for the Twelve,but sometimes they're too much. Ask John the Baptist your question, it's self-care time."

The great balance of the Christian Life is serving God everyday, reading your bible, praying, but these are not self-care,they are a command. Relaxation and joy should not be relegated to bubble baths and scented candles, look around throughout your day and realize how blessed you are. Take joy and find gratitude in the noisy kids, the rambunctious dog, even the rush-hour traffic. (You have a car, don't you? On your way home from the job that pays all your bills, aren't you?)

Sometimes we do need quiet, and we do need to step away, but this shouldn't be the only joyful oasis in the desert of our harried, anxious lives. Even self-care can not medicate away depression and anxiety, you need a fundamental change in your life before those cups of tea and bubble baths will do any good at all. Maybe you need medication to balance you out, maybe you need to be plugged into a good church. Maybe you need fuzzy socks. Or maybe you need a combination of all of these, to balance what you need with what you need to get done. Maybe you need to remember that in the same Bible we find the words"If a man does not work, neither shall he eat". (2 Thessalonians 3:10) and "Jesus went off by himself to pray." (Matthew 14:23)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I will live for my child

The Immersion Method

What shoddy internet can teach us about multitasking