Overflow with Hope

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."
Romans 15:13 NIV


Astonishingly, I'm fully functional at 7:30 and my caffeine hasn't kicked in yet. I'm sitting at my favorite independent coffee shop and actually eating my breakfast here for once. (usually my latte, bagel and I are flying down the road or installed at my desk for breakfast.) But is this being filled with joy and peace, overflowing in hope?

Or is it better to pause, to thank God for all the wonderful things just in this little coffee shop, the volunteer baristas,(this is a unique place indeed) the wonderful coffee, and of course, the cinnamon crunch bagel. The old farmers in the back, talking, laughing swapping stories. The bright sunshine through the window, reflecting on the counter, making it look as though it's much warmer outside than it is.  God has brought all these things together today, in perfect harmony, for reasons that are entirely his own.

Usually I'm one or five steps behind. Usually I don't have (take) the time to sit and reflect on the hope that we have (1 Peter 3:15). The hope that I have is this: As wonderful as this moment in the coffee shop is, there is something altogether better and indescribable in store for those who trust in Christ. Those who trust in him have been ransomed and redeemed from the eternal fire and will instead spend all their lives worshiping Him.

It's fairly common knowledge that I've struggled with depression off and on. In the midst of depression, it can be a fight to remember the hope that we have, which often leads into questions of salvation, and a desperate need of assurance. The good news is that Jesus Christ has come to save our souls, and that is a truth, regardless of our feelings.

Nevertheless, hope is very felt to me today. After a much needed spring break, I'm ready to get back at it and I only hope that I can convey in some small way with all the people I interact with today, that I have hope.

I

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I will live for my child

The Immersion Method

What shoddy internet can teach us about multitasking