Beyond The Selfie

 I snapped a picture one day that somehow looked heckin artsy and like I’m someone cool who has it all together. 

But behind the selfie, what you didn’t see is the way I frowned at my postpartum belly flab in the mirror, the way I agonized over finding clothes that flatter the aforementioned postpartum belly flab AND didn’t irritate the 5 then-recent incisions on my abdomen from my gallbladder-ectomy*. You didn’t see the struggle to get my contacts in, and the sore fingers that are the reason 90% of my shoes, including the ones I’m wearing off camera- are slip-ons. 

You just see the selfie. And that’s fine if we’re acquaintances from years back or coworkers. But there’s got to be people who see behind the selfies, behind the scenes of the carefully crafted, sterile social media image. Humans are social beings, we were created for community, and Christians, in particular, are actually commanded to fellowship.

 "And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near." Hebrews 10:25, NLT. 

Especially now that the day of his return is drawing near. I don't think it's too much to draw here that one of the reasons for fellowship is to prepare each other and ourselves for eternity, to keep eternity in mind, and refocus, so to speak. While Monday through Saturday holds various first-world problems and real earthly troubles, Sunday morning and any interaction with our brethren point us towards the redeeming work of Jesus Christ, which will one day be consummated by his return and our glorification.

There's got to be people who know us well enough to encourage us in the Lord, to remind us that this is not all there is, and our pains and afflictions will one day find their end. This is, I believe, clearly indicated in scripture. 1 Thessalonians 5 verse 11 is one such place. " 11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." Interestingly, the context of this verse is in fact, the return of Jesus Christ, and the following verses include valuing hard work among the brethren and even warning those who are idle and disruptive. The bible is very clear that we need fellowship. 

 It's not so much that taking selfies and wanting to take care in your appearance is wrong, but if that's the only way that people know you, you're missing out on sweet, messy, God-honoring fellowship. 

I was incredibly overwhelmed one day recently in church when the hymns, the message, everything, brought grief to the surface that few knew about. It bubbled up in tears, sobs, and really gross snots. I was still trying to keep it together and project Super Mom Who Is UnMoved By Anything. 

It didn't work. 

Readers, there wasn't a single lady sitting near me who didn't immediately embrace me after the service and lend a listening ear to my-until then- private grief. I am so blessed by those ladies who put appearances and pride aside and met me where I was at. We are called as Christians to weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice, (Romans 12:15), and those ladies wept with me that day. Some of them, literally. 

True fellowship means venturing into the messy. It means going to church even when, especially when, you can't hold it together. It means a not-spotless house you ignore when your friend needs to come over and have a chat. It means letting people into your imperfect life so they can point you back to the finished work of Christ.

It means going beyond the selfie and into real life.

 

*not a real word. Yet. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I will live for my child

What shoddy internet can teach us about multitasking

Living for Those Still Here, Or, The Reason for the Hiatus.